India leads the world in road accident deaths, with 138,000 people being killed each year. The country also accounts for 10 per cent of global road accident deaths. According to a road ministry report, the number of accidents in India was 489,400 in 2014
Road safety is a collective effort of the government and people. While the government administration must leave no stone unturned in ensuring proper condition of the roads and enforcing strict adherence to traffic rules, responsible driving and the right attitude of people with respect to traffic rules is perhaps the first step on the long road to 100% safety on the roads.
As they say speed thrills and also kills. Keep a rein on your speed, so that one is in better control of the vehicle.
We are planning for a roadshow related to traffic accidents in Kolkata, India in the second week of December (likely date 12th December). More updates will be posted on our website soon. If you wish to participate either backend or front end support please contact us.
We are proposing a model to minimize road accidents such as
- Drunk and drive
- Hit and run
- Smart signals
- Smart transportation access to the one and all.
School authorities can share the below tips by:
- Discussing the tips in Parent Teacher meetings
- Discussing it in School Assembly / Class Rooms.
- Printing the tips in School diary every year (next year onwards).
- Printing the tips in School Magazine School
- Announcing one Tip each day under the head Tip of the Day.
- Displaying the tips in special Notice Board in easily visible large letter.
- Displaying the tips in all Class Rooms / Walls of School Building.
- Printing and distributing the Tips among Parents / Children
- Forwarding the mail to neighboring schools, Parents, Teachers etc.
Road Safety tips/awareness for Parents, Teachers and Children
- Safety awareness should begin from childhood, as it is difficult to impart awareness to a grown up human. If safety awareness is imparted in childhood, safety will be a habit. So impart Road Safety and General Safety awareness to your children during childhood itself, preferably before the age of six.
- Video and Computer games that simulate racing should be discouraged by parents as it will develop irreparable racing habit in children.
- Don’t allow your children to watch Motor sports, especially racing.
- Cinema, Serials and Advertisements involving Racing, over speed / highly risky riding etc should be watched by children ONLY with Parental Guidance. Warn them about its dangers when they are small kids itself. Parents should take such scenes as an opportunity to guide them properly.
- Children below a certain age should not be permitted to do cycling in busy roads and in roads where heavy vehicles are plying.
- Parents of children residing near busy roads should keep the Gates closed always.
- Do not give cycles and two wheelers to your children until they are mentally mature enough.
- Ensure that children use Helmet while using Two Wheelers.
- Back seat riders also should use Helmet.
- If Helmet is not available do not accept the offer for a lift.
- Don’t forget to fix the Chinstrap of your Helmet. Otherwise it will not help during an accident.
- Ensure that your Helmet is of good quality meeting standard specifications. Otherwise replace it TODAY.
- Most important method to prevent road accidents is restriction of speed .90 % of accidents can be avoided by limiting speeds.
- Always maintain safe distance with the vehicle in front.
- Don’t let your children to use mobile phones while driving / riding. Ask your children to avoid Mobile phone while walking, driving, and riding on the road.
- Ask your children to avoid FM Radio, Media Players etc. while walking, driving, and riding on the road.
- When your family is planning a new car, go for a yellow or other bright colored one. Sometimes, it may help in averting an accident because of its high viability, avoid the black and dark colors as far as possible.
- Buy ONLY yellow or bright colored cycle for your children.
- Let the preferred color for two-wheeler also be yellow.
- Never drink and drive. Somebody is waiting for you at home.
- Never use mobile phones while driving, riding.
- Avoid long trips during night, as far as possible.
- Insist that your child uses bright colored dresses, if your child is going for an early morning walk or cycling or walking on a road during night or if the lighting is poor due to mist or some other reason.
- If you are driving at night, get refreshed at regular intervals by having a facewash or by having a cup of Coffee or Tea. Some of the co-passengers should ensure that you are awake.
- There is a practice of keeping the traffic signals in standby mode during nights and on holidays. It is highly risky, hence be extra cautious at junctions with signal system in standby mode.
- Advertisement boards and other items may obstruct visibility at junctions, curvatures and other parts of the roads. Hence be cautious about them.
- Old age drivers should checkup their eyes periodically.
- A small pool of water or a hanging branch of tree or rope or cable on roadside can cause accident, as such obstructions will make the pedestrians and drivers to take sudden LATERAL movement. Drivers and Pedestrians should not make sudden lateral movement.
- Restrict speed at known accident prone areas.
- Check up your vehicle regularly and especially before long journey.
- Teach your children to look behind before making any lateral movement while walking on the road. Let them make it a habit so that they will do it automatically before making any lateral movement.
- Children playing ball games like Football, Cricket, Tennis etc. near Roads are likely to run across the road carelessly to pick the ball as the ball goes out of the field. Strict instructions should be given to children to be very careful while crossing the road to pick the ball.
- Small children have a tendency to run across or along the roads, all of sudden on seeing their parents, siblings, friends or relatives etc. Hence small children should be given strict instructions not to do that. Also try to avoid such circumstances on roads as far as possible. For example when children return from school, we should reach the bus stop in advance to pick them to home. If we reach the Bus stop late, children may run on seeing us from far.
- When you are walking with small children on road side, hold on their hand. It should not be the other way i.e. don’t let the children to hold on your hand.
- While walking with children on road side, keep the children on the outer side of the road. You should be in the inner side.
- Let ‘Road Safety’ be a mandatory topic for School Projects for all classes, every year.
- Road Safety Day / Road Safety Week should be observed in all Schools, every year. Competitions on Road Safety Tips, Slogans, Essays, and Paintings etc. should be conducted for students of various classes.
- Road Safety Clubs and Forums should be formed in all Schools.
- School Buses should be painted with Bright Yellow color.
- Significant portion of School Uniform should be of bright colors like yellow, red, green, orange etc. White is also ok. Idea is to increase visibility while crossing the road or walking on road side. The bright colors will ensure visibility even under low lighting conditions. If the current school uniform is of dark colors like gray, brown, dark blue etc., School authorities may change the uniform at the next opportunity.
- Avoid driving if you are experiencing excessive sneezing.
- Do not drive after taking sleep inducing tablets like anti-histamines, anti-allergic, anti-depressants etc.
- Buy only bright colored dresses for your children. Sometimes, this may help in averting an accident. Never select black or dark color dresses for your children.
- Better use a Yellow colored Helmet.
- Small children may sleep while traveling by two wheelers. Hence ensure that they are awake while traveling by two wheelers.
- There are certain types of two wheelers which do not require a valid license for use. This nonsense of the authorities should not be a valid reason to risk the safety of your children.
- Learn driving from the best reputed diving school in your neighborhood.
- Never bribe to acquire a driving license for you or your children. Do not use shortcut methods to get license.
- Appear for driving test after you are fully convinced and confident
- Do not park vehicles near curvature.
- Do not attempt to cross the road near curvature.